Monday, June 14, 2010

I've fallen and I can't get back up. No wait, what I mean to say is my computer is down and it can't get back up................... This is the first time I've been on-line in about a week. I also just checked my e-mails for the first time in a week as well and boy do I have a lot to catch up on. It's amazing how much you can get behind in e-mails and those sort of things if you're not on-line for even just a week.

At any rate, it's been a long time coming but I finally have to get DSL. I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I am actually one of the last known human beings who had dial up. I know, it's pretty comical. I had the "Geek-Squad" come out in one of their cute, little beetle bug Geek Squad cars and as it turns out, luckily I do not have another virus or worm like I did about a month ago. But what he did tell me is that because people are canceling AOL by the droves, and because of that AOL is cutting back on the phone numbers used to log on to the Internet, which is part of the problem I was having. He also said if you call to cancel with AOL, they are really giving people a hard time in letting them cancel their commitments/contracts with AOL. He said pretty much that AOL is not great at all anymore.

I think I postponed dealing with getting DSL because I assumed it would be expensive, I assumed there would be issues because I'm on the outskirts of town and not in the major metropolitan area and that it would just be a great big hassle to get it going.

Well, I couldn't have been more wrong. Per his advise, I called up Qwest and talked to them. They are going to send me a modem and you can either rent it or just buy it. Once you get the modem, you hook it up and that's it,you're on high speed. And it's only going to cost me $30 a month, yeah. So, for now until Thursday evening
(6/17), I won't be able to access the Internet, my blog or my e-mail most likely. I'm using my sisters computer right now. So please just keep that in mind if you send me an e-mail or a comment on my blog. I will respond as soon as I can.

Just thought I'd let my wonderful followers know. I was so detailed about what happened just in case anyone else is in a similar situation. It just sounds like AOL is on it's way out. I was always also worried about losing my e-mail address that I've had for probably 15 years now. But according to "The Geek" all you have to do is tell AOL you want to keep your e-mail address and that's it. There's no charge for that. What I was paying AOL for was the access phone numbers and NOT my
e-mail.

Now when I get attachments I will actually be able to open them. I will be able to go to YouTube and see art videos. It's going to be a whole new world for me. I can't wait.

Talk to you all on Thursday. Have a wonderful week.

1 comment:

  1. Well, good to know you haven't disappeared but I'm not sure how you're surviving. Our cable was out last night (phone, tv AND internet) for about 3 1/2 hours and I was pulling my hair out. LOL Had to scramble to find the cell phone which of course was dead, charge it, only to find out there was a problem in the area and told not to stay on the line. What a PITA! Will be thrilled when you're back in business. xxD

    ReplyDelete