Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Health Care Reform.......what a joke!

In case anyone was wondering the woman in the center of my newest collage which I have titled as "Spilt Milk" is Scarlett Johannsen.

Can I bitch and complain about something really quick that has nothing what-so-ever to do with artwork? I don't think a lot of people read my blog so I don't think that it really matters any way. I am just furious about this total cluster f--k of a health care system we have here in the States. Let me just say that I'm used to dealing with Medicare and all it's BS because I've been disabled &/or on disability since 2000. So, every year when there are changes, or I have to start with another new company, or I have to constantly get prior authorizations from my Doctor I'm basically used to it. Plus, because my sole income is my Social Security Disability I'm considered low income, so the State picks up what I can't afford. Which is one good blessing in this whole, big mess.

But last year was the first year my Mom was on Medicare full throttle with this joke of a Part D Prescription coverage. What they are doing to our senior citizens in this country is horrific. How do they expect people on a fixed Social Security income to be able to afford $5000 out of pocket expenses EVERY YEAR on prescriptions? It's as if you are being penalized for being sick or having a chronic illness. Now I'm not sure how it works exactly in Canada, the UK or France, but I've heard good and bad stories about their health care. I realize the idiots up in Washington are currently working on a new system for us which means they will be messing it up even more than they already have. The Federal government should have never gotten involved in this in the first place, because inevitably when they get involved, whatever they are involved in gets completely messed up.

Yesterday I took my Mom to this senior counseling woman who can tell you about all the different Medicare plans. Well quite frankly I left there more fed up and confused than I already was. My Mom is very involved in what is going on in Washington and she is constantly reading the paper and what not. I always tell her that if she was younger she definitely should have gone into politics. But she was telling me about several different articles that she has read on this topic that say the older generation in this country should just come to terms with the fact that they are going to die so that Health Care can focus on the younger people. Can you even believe that BS? (Excuse me my words, I'm pissed as you can tell.) I wonder how the politicians would feel if someone told them that about their Mother.

So all of this Medicare crap is so confusing my Mom kind of leaves it up to me to handle for her since I've been doing it for myself for several years now, and to be fair I pretty much volunteered myself. But it's so overwhelming and stressful, when we came home from talking to that lady yesterday I went into the bathroom and just cried for a half an hour. I of course didn't want her to see because I don't want her feeling worse than she already does, but I was so overwhelmed and stressed.

The whole thing scares the living daylights out of me. Then of course as we were leaving this woman just had to tell us "well if that bill goes through, prepare to have to pay for all your own medications in 2011." Are you kidding me, did you really have to drop that bomb on us as we were leaving?

You see my Mom and I both have arthritis, two different kinds but in the same arena. One of the medications that we both take is extremely expensive. Well I luckily, for right now any way, get mine for next to nothing because I am considered low income. But this past year for half of the year my Mom was charging on her credit card $600 to $700 for the one medication. She can't afford that, but yet according to Medicare her and my Step Father get too much from Social Security to be considered low income. It's better in this country if you are low income if you can believe that?

It's just such a mess and I am so stressed about the whole thing, but yet I have to keep my composure and not show the stress because I don't want my Mom getting upset and then her blood pressure goes through the roof. Is anyone out there having any problems like this at all? Maybe I need to become a Canadian citizen?

4 comments:

  1. Yes healthcare is a mess. It does need to be fixed in some areas. Like pre-existing conditions, catastrophic situations, and copayments for medications...

    As I hear from my primary care doctor and RA doctor...your premiums will go up for ALL in "their" healthcare program. Most doctors will close their private practices, leaving those in need of special care with NO doctor to choose from in any system. So the doctors that choose to stay in private practice will be TOO busy…meaning no time for

    There will not be enough hospital beds if their plan is voted for the country. No one will go to the doctor for regular check ups meaning the emergency rooms will become the "doctor visit" when one is extremely ill costing more $$$ for their medical care.

    I will have to say that the level of catastrophic care NEEDS to be increased...there are too many young and old loosing their homes and savings due to this type of medical care. The insurance companies are at fault here for this sad situation in our country. But than again, government should not be in our healthcare system...as they should not have gotten into the auto and banking business. We as tax payers are technically part owners of these businesses.

    This new bill will cause more fraud…AHPs will create more fraud than currently stated by Medicare! These types of health plans do NOT work…TN state is broke with it’s insurance plan. BTW, Medicare fraud is created by a “few” doctors that have billed fraudulently in the millions…so this so-called Medicare fraud is NOT the average private practice doctor!

    I wish you all the best with your health and dealing with those idiots!
    !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry you are going through all of this and your Mom as well. Our health system here in Canada is wonderful as far as I am concerned. We don't have to pay for hospital or doctor visits. Different provinces have different rules, but here in Nova Scotia, and most of Canada, our taxes include our health care. As for perscriptions and such, you would get that coverage through your work, and if you aren't working, you would buy it, for a very reasonable price compared to the States. If you are low income, it would be covered by the government. I do know many of the drug companies will help, sometimes giving the medications for free. Have you looked into this for your Mom? Contacting the drug company directly? I know you probably have as it sounds like you have tried everything. I really hope that things turn around for your Mom and that you don't get too stressed out. I too have a chronic illness, and know just how expensive it would be if I didn't have health benefits, actually I wouldn't be able to pay even one bill if I had to pay for my meds. It's a scary thought ....
    Good Luck....
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like many Brits, I moan about our National Health Service at times but reading your words make me hugely aware of how fortunate we are "over here". Under the NHS ALL treatment is free and prescription drugs cost just under &7 per item. The low-income, pregnant mothers, those with children under one or two and children under 16 receive all their drugs completely free of charge, as do those over 60 years of age. People outside these categories who need regular medications can buy an exemption card (currently around £150) which will cover the charges for a year. The National Health Service costs an enormous sum of money and there are bound to be radical changes - unlikely to be for the better - in days to come but, for now, it ensures no-one need worry about paying for treatment.

    Marion
    UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typo alert in the above post: Sorry, the £150 should have been $150.

    ReplyDelete